Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lent Reflection #7

I was in high school when I first started trying to read the Bible seriously.  Even at that young age, I was fascinated by Paul's letters.  In my early attempts to understand Paul, I did not see his letters as cohesive arguments, but basically as a collection of inspirational verses.  Some of them are still stuck in my memory and most of those verses are the memorable ones: "I'm not ashamed of the Gospel…"; "There is no Jew nor Greek…"; "Do not be conformed to this world…"; "I can do all things through Christ…"  I had several of these on posters or t-shirts.  Some of these verses strengthened my faith in difficult times.  There's a reason that they have staying power in my life and the lives of many others.

There's one verse that has stuck with since my younger days that is not one of those famous, t-shirt worthy verses.  Colossians 4:18 says, "I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand.  Remember my chains.  Grace be with you.

Remember my chains.

That little statement has long left a mark on my spirit.  One reason is that it reminds me of the cost that Paul was willing to pay for the sake of his faith in Christ.  He was not alone in his willingness, of course.  But in several places he spoke eloquently and powerfully about his willing to pay the price.  This expression at the end of Colossians is blunt and to the point.  And powerful.

Like the Colossians, we need reminders, too.  While the chains that many of us struggle with are not made of metal literally shackling our hands and feet, they are just as strong and just as constricting.  More people than we know (or want to know) deal with the chains of addiction or mental illness or grief or regret or shame.  There are people who sit in church pews every Sunday morning who might be free to move physically, but they don't feel free to love or to grow or to trust.  Some are chained to their past, some are chained to a struggle in the present, and some are chained by hopelessness about the future.

How do we as Christians respond?  Paul's instruction to the Colossians about remembering his chains was an invitation to prayer.  Paul was asking the Colossians to remember his imprisonment not to inspire pity nor was he trying to impress them with the depth of his commitment.  He was asking for their prayers.  And not simply general, vague prayers, but deep prayer for strength and perseverance. 


Paul is extending that invitation to us as well.  Not for his chains, of course.  Paul has long since entered the Church Triumphant and the heavenly freedom that is our eternal hope.  Paul is inviting us to remember each other's chains, whatever they may be.  Paul is inviting us to pray for one another and to do so sincerely and specifically, praying for peace and wholeness and healing.  

No comments: